Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

my dog has large fluid filled cyst

my dog has large fluid filled cyst
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 years ago.

Cysts are usually not a big problem in dogs. If this is on the trunk of the body, then it could probably be drained with a needle. This will resolve many (60-70%) of cysts. If it recurs multiple times, then surgical removal will be curative and is more for aesthetic reasons than medical need.

If this is on the ear, then it is likely an ear hematoma (blood filled sac) that should be surgically repaired and the ear infection treated.

If this is on a limb, then it can be drained and that is usually curative. Some take multiple drainings but they're usually not a big problem.

You can also just leave a lot of these alone and the body will resorb them over time. It can take weeks, but if money is an issue then that is another option.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.