Dr. Chris
Dr. Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years experience as a small animal veterinarian
15211267

Ive accidently pulled the skin/fur off half my gerbils tail.

I've accidently pulled the skin/fur off half my gerbil's tail. What do I do? Theres not much blood, but i'm really worried about infection and will the skin/fur grow back?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chris replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry this happened to you. It must have been alarming. This is a common problem with gerbils. The skin will come off very easily if the gerbil is grabbed by the tail. Sometimes it's referred to as "tail slip". In gerbils, it's a mechanism to prevent them from being caught by predators. An infection could happen, but usually doesn't. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that the skin and fur will come back. There are two options: 1. Have the tail amputated by a veterinarian and 2. Have the gerbil seen by a vet and start it on some antibiotics to prevent infection. It may also be recommended to coat the tail in an antibiotic ointment. Eventually the tail will fall off due to lack of blood supply. I hope this answers your question.