Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My dog wont lift his tail. he can wag it slightly, but is

My dog won't lift his tail. he can wag it slightly, but is hangs to his right. I don't know if the kids pulled on it, or if this is a symptom of other problems. Yoda is a 2 year old chocolate lab, and he acted weird last night wanting to go outside to the bathroom several times thruough the night. What are your thoughts?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 7 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of this situation:

• Is he defecating and urinating normally?
  • Can you see any wounds under his tail?
  • How much does Yoda weigh?
  • Does he have any medical conditions or take any medications?
  • Is he eating, drinking and otherwise acting normal (no vomiting or diarrhea)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I can't see any new Feses, but seems to be urinating OK, lastnight he seemed to want to go but was restless and could'nt go. I do not see any wounds under his tail and when I did an exam on him he didn't seem to be in pain with pressute from tip to base. No swelling noticed and no dislocations felt. I could lift tail to 45 degree angle up with no discomfort. Yoda weighs 73lbs ( just weighed him). Yoda has seasonal allergies and we give him 25mg benadryl each day per our vet. he is eating normal, but not acting normal. If I pat on my chest, which his normal reaction woul be to go up on hind leggs and put his front paws on my chest for kisses, he looks at me eagerly, but does not move. As a side note he has not been in trouble for anything for quite some time, and was a very happy and energetic dog up untill bed time last night.

Thanks

Thank you for the information Nathan. More than likely he has a sprained tail. The symptoms you've described are typical and you may not be able to find a sore spot under these circumstances. Try giving one 325mg buffered aspirin every 12 hours for pain. Don't use enteric coated, dogs don't digest it well. You can give the aspirin safely for 3-4 days but after that it can cause stomach upset and ulcers. If the aspirin does not improve the situation then I would have him checked by your vet. If you have more questions please let me know.