Dr. Lajos
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist
19414232

My cat keeps shaking her rear left leg when she walks. What

Customer Question

My cat keeps shaking her rear left leg when she walks. What does this mean.l
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I have a few questions that will help me answer your question:

How old is your cat?
How long has she been doing this?
Is she an indoor or outdoor cat?
Have you examined the leg she is shaking for any injury/grass awn, thorm, etc?
Any other medical problems?

Thanks

p.s. I have a poor internet connection at this moment so I may be on and off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mishka just turned 3 years, she just started doing it this afternoon. Totally indoor kitty. I have touched her leg and held her and she does not appear to be in any pain. She did just get her very first flea treatment since our Dixie-Doggie brought in a couple from the backyard. I used Hartz. I am hoping that is not the problem.
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the delay in responding. Hartz comes in many formulations, so unless I know which one it is hard to say if that is the reason. If it contains organophosphate insecticides then it could be the culprit. These can cause neurological signs as well as vomiting, diarrhea, etc. You can give Mishka a bath with a little liquid dish soap to try to wash it off if her symptoms persist or worsen. It could also be that something happened to her foot, Something you didn't see and that foot hurts, or kind of like humans when your arm/leg falls asleep, that kind of tingly feeling. It may be completely gone by the time you read this. If it is not you may need to have her foot examined.

I hope this helps
Dr. Lajos, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 10 years, Emergency Medicine Experience, Veterinary Pathologist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you fo responding. I used Hartz Ultraguard Plus with active ingredients (s) methoprene and etofenprox. My other cat took quite well. I'm just hoping that her foot just falls asleep. Please advise and thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 5 years ago.
Both of those products from Hartz are relatively safe and it would be very unlikely that either would be responsible for the problem with her foot. It is likely that it will be transient and will resolve. I would watch her and keep examining her foot to see if there are any changes that could be the cause of this. I hope it resolves uneventfully.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you so much - She is no longer shaking her back paw. Just being her usual kitty self.

Expert:  Dr. Lajos replied 5 years ago.
That is good to hear. I hope she continues to do well.