Dr. Angela
Dr. Angela, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine with 10 years experience.

My dog is 15 years old and cant get up anymore with out help.

My dog is 15 years old and can't get up anymore with out help. She has lost a lot of weight and control of her bodily functions and I believe she is in pain. I was hoping she would pass on at home around people and things she knows. But I can't see letting the poor thing suffer.    Is there anything I can do to help her. Taking her to a vet to have her put to sleep just doesn't seem right.   Is there anything I can give her at home so she can just go to sleep? She has been a great dog and this is harder than you can imagine.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Angela replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry you are in this difficult position. Your dog is clearly suffering and I know you want to stop this suffering. It is clear that she means so much to you. I can see that you are acting out of love for your companion. There are no oral medication to hasten her death humanely. I understand you feel that hauling her into the vet's office for her euthanasia would be cruel. I would encourage you to call your vet and request a house call to have her put to sleep. Most vets will provide this service when asked. If your vet cannot do a house call, they should be able to recommend a house call vet who can come to your home. This way your dog does not have to be moved out of the house and will be surrounded by you and her familiar environment in her final moments. I hope this is a helpful suggestion. Please let me know if you have more questions about this. You will be in my thoughts today because I know how hard it is to experience the loss of a longtime companion and friend. You are doing the right thing in not letting her suffer. Take care.