Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian
Experience:  >10 years practicing veterinary medicine including exotics, fish, reptiles. Canine/feline specialist

my cats afterbirth has been stuck in her for over 12 hours,

my cats afterbirth has been stuck in her for over 12 hours, what can we do to safely remove it? we have tried gently pulling it out time and again, but it causes her so much pain and she growls. also , she hasnt fed her 4 kittens for a few hours now, they sleep , mostly, but keep waking frequently, crying. it is after 2 in the morning and we are in a country town with no shops open to buy kitten milk supplement. please help with some suggestions soon or we might lose all 4 cats.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat - this is definitely an emergency, so I'll try to keep it brief.

Do not pull on the afterbirth. Momma cat absolutely needs to go to a vet ASAP or you may loose her. At a minimum, she may get septic and go into shock. Until you cat get her to a vet's, keep her in a dark, quiet place to minimize stress, keep her warm but not over heated.

It would be best for the kittens if they can nurse to get the colostrum, but if momma cat is stressed, she won't let her milk down, and also placenta remnants will keep her from letting milk down well also. Can you try to calmly place the kittens on the teats and see if they will latch? Also, you can gently milk the nipples to see if there is milk coming out.

Let me know if this works or what else I can help you with. Even if it's an hour's drive, I'd try to find an ER vet or a vet who takes after hour calls.

Dr. Devlin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry, we have been having problems with our computer. i have just managed to get back on. i have tried your suggestions, but the mother wont go anywhere near her kittens, let alone feed them. they havent had any milk for over 9 hours now. is there something i can prepare for them to drink maybe. we have powdered milk or cows milk watered down. how long can they not drink for without it doing them a lot of harm? our vet surgery will open in another 5 hours. they are all, mother and kittens, keeping warm as i have been stoking up our wood fire. the mum gets shaky once in a while, and is still trying occasionally to push the afterbirth out, in between trying to get some sleep. she hasnt had much sleep as i can tell she cant get comfortable. otherwise the mum doesnt seem to be in a bad way, just calm and quiet.
Poor Momma and kittens. Thank you for trying to take care of them! Definitely get all of them to the vet as soon as possible. In the meanwhile,
The following "emergency formula" will be adequate: 4 oz whole cows milk, 4 oz water, 2 egg yolks, 1 tsp veg. oil and 2 tums for calcium.
Mix in a blender.

This daily volume is divided into 4 equal feeding for the first week, then 3 feedings for weeks 2 through weaning.

Here are some links to how to feed and raise an orphan kitten:

You may need to use a dropper if they cannot drink from a bottle.

Dr. Devlin

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for the formula recipe, but please tell me what two tums is for calcium, i have never heard of TUMS. it must be something in another country.
antacid - calcium tablet. similar to rolaids but a different ingredient.

If its just for 1 feed, skip it and buy formula as soon as stores open.