Jamie, Veterinarian
Experience:  special interest in pocket pets:ferrets, rabbits, rodents, and hedgehogs

what is the difference between castration and neutering a male

what is the difference between castration and neutering a male lab dalmation cross, details please. Is castration to cut off completely abd is neutering just cutting the tubes. Will he still have an erection and will the hormones and thoughts still be there. He is 8 months old and humps my mother and myself and he also tries to hump his brother dog and they start fighting. He also gets aggressive by holding on with his teeth to your arm when humping. Is castration or neutering best to stop this behaviour, and at what age is best.
He also chews chairs and anything he can find, we had to sedate him when we went on the ferry for holiday, we can not leave him on his own because of chewing, how can this be stopped
Also he also eats snails does this cause lungworm
Also digs holes i suppose this bit is normal.
In relation to dog training we were going to send him on a residential course on his own to be trained by others or is it best for us to train him ourselves.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Jamie replied 7 years ago.
I'll try to answer all these questions the best I can! Neutering and castration are the same procedure, at least around here. They involve removing the testicles completely. Neutering can be done anytime now, if he is 8 months old, and in his case it sounds like the sooner the better! His chewing may be puppy behavior, or it may be separation anxiety-which is a whole big discussion in itself, so when you bring your dog to your veterinarian to be neutered, I would discuss with them what is going on so they can decide which it is and give you pointers on what to do. If he chews on inappropriate things in front of you, a firm NO command while you take the offending object away and give him an acceptable toy to chew on would be a good start, but I must caution you-don't get hurt-if it seems like he will bite you when you do this, you definitely need professional help and training. I have mixed feelings on sending him away to a trainer-I think it's a good idea for you to be present for the training so you can see how its done, and also, this way he learns it is you he needs to listen to. Your veterinarian may have information on puppy behavior/socializing classes in your area, and may even provide them. Pet stores may also have some of this information.

I hope this helps, and I hope that with some training you can get your puppy to be a well behaved member of your family.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will castrating stop his erections and humping and also his aggression and he always jumps up at you when you come in the room even you have only been gone for a few minutes
Expert:  Jamie replied 7 years ago.
Castration should decrease his erections and humping, it may take a little while after the surgery is performed to see a difference however.
The jumping up part is more behavior related, and some good training will help with that. For now, if he jumps up on you when you enter, do not say anything (not even down or no) and just turn around and ignore him. The jumping up is his way of seeking attention, and even if you push him down and say no, you have just inadvertantly given him attention-you touched him and talked to him. By turning away and ignoring him, you are not giving him any of the attention he seeks. He may try harder for a bit, but be consistent and do not give him attention. Then, when he loses interest in you and sits or walks away, call his name and say hi, pet him, etc. If he jumps again, again turn and ignore him. This will start to teach him that jumping is unacceptable, and he will not get any attention for doing so.