Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal veterinary medicine

what should do if my dog eats insulation,and will my dog die

what should do if my dog eats insulation,and will my dog die from it?

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a couple questions?
1) Has your dog eaten some insulation?
2) Do you know the type?
3) What kind of dog do you have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay i think she has. and it is fiberglass.ans she is a long haired dachsund but she is the runt of her group and she is about 1yr.and like 4months
Do you know how long ago she may have eaten it?
How is she acting now?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay she may have been eating some all day.and she wont quit moaning.but i gave her a bath thinking it might be because she itched but she still moaned and when i touched her stomach she growled?(whitch she never does)
Is she still eating and drinking?
Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no she is asleep right now but her breathing is real rhaspy
I would say that at this point in time, I would continue to let your little girl sleep. As far as can insulation be bad when its ingested - yes. That is if enough is eaten to cause a blockage. How much must be eaten to cause this and how big of pieces? That is a question that has no specific answer. If small pieces and amounts are eaten, there is a good chance they just pass through with no problem.

I would carefully watch her for any vomiting, loss of appetite, or continued discomfort in her abdomen. If you're seeing this, then there is a chance she's eaten enough to cause a problem. Insulation is probably not going to show on an x-ray, so at this point, unless those signs above show up - things should be ok. If they do show up, get her to your vet as soon as possible for an evaluation and work up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay thank you so much!!!