Doctor G
Doctor G, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate, caring, practical. 20 yrs experience in private practice.

What is the proper dosage of meloxicam for a 60 pound, 7 month

What is the proper dosage of meloxicam for a 60 pound, 7 month old, Great Pry? She had pain from the rapid growth in the groth plates in her left front leg. My othe Pry had the same problems when she was about that age.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor G replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for the question.
First off I have to recommend that you have her evaluated by a vet and xrayed to confirm the diagnosis. Second, it would be a good idea to have some initial blood work to evaluate kidneys and liver BEFORE starting anti-inflammatories. That is the best way to approach it.
Meloxicam is typically used in dogs at 0.1 mgs per kilogram of body weight. Your dog is 27.3 kilograms(60 pounds).That makes the dose 0.27 mgs once daily by mouth. Hope that gives you some guidance.

If this has been helpful to you then please click the green accept button so that I may be credited for my time. If you have follow-up questions then click the reply button. As always, a thorough hands-on exam by a veterinarian is recommended. I am only providing you with my opinion based on the information you have provided. Legally, I can not prescribe federally regulated medications or diagnose your pet’s condition without an examination. All feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Dr. GF
Doctor G, Veterinarian
Experience: Compassionate, caring, practical. 20 yrs experience in private practice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Doctor G.

I will visit my Doc office and get a prescription for Rimadyl (which we have used before) appropriate for her weight. I would find it very difficult to reduce a 7.5mg tab of meloxicam that I have on had down to .27 mg doses. Bailey was see about three weeks ago and had blood work completed. All good results.

Thanks again,

Jim