CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My 12 year old Sheltie is not eating today. She (Cassie) is

My 12 year old Sheltie is not eating today. She (Cassie) is laying down with head and ears up, leaning to her right. I can see and feel her left back end trembling. She has not wanted her dry food for a few days, but has been eating her canned food. I have a doctor's appointment for her tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I should take her to an emergency clinic before then. She was playing last night (she likes to chase the ball). There has been no change in her diet. We brought a new dog into our home (from the shelter) on May 9, but they have had no special problems with each other. I did take some of her stool to the doctor yesterday and he said there was no sign of problems there, but I have to wait until tomorrow for the appointment. Any suggestions?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Just to clarify - she is eating, but only her wet food.

Any vomiting? Diarrhea? Limping?

Drinking more than usual?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She was eating the wet food yesterday, but she won't take anything today. I haven't seen any diarrhea or limping. As for vomiting, one of the dogs left some spit up on my rug this morning (had a little grass in it), but I can't be sure that it was her and that sometimes happens -- we were outside a lot yesterday, Both she and Winston like to nibble at grass once in a while. I did see her nibble a little on it yesterday. The grass is not treated with anything at all.
When you say "leaning to the right" - is that the way she is sitting, or are you concerned this is neurological?

When her back end is trembling, are you concerned this is pain?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sensing any real pain -- I can touch the area. She doesn't wince or cry out. While I was typing the last response, she walked out to the hallway and she did throw up some gelatinous liquid. I gave her some water a few minutes ago and she did drink some. She's seeing up straighter right now, not listing to the right as much.

How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She generally weights about 18 pounds. Since she's been off her feed this week, she feels a little lighter to me. Since the last "spit up," I can't feel the trembling on her left side and she is now laying down leaning to her left side - before she was listing to the right. She actually seems more comfortable, but she is still refusing food. My apologies if I'm acting too panicky -- I'm just not really happy with our emergency clinic, so I hate to go there unless I really need to.
Hi there,

Well - it looks as if the vomiting is one of the only real signs to hang our hat on as she is not doing anything else that is very specific :)

Whenever I have an owner present to me with a case similar to what you write - I discuss that unlike some diseases, there is not just 1 or 2 causes for vomiting. There are many reasons that a dog can present with a history of vomiting. Possibilities include, but are not limited to:

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something they shouldnt causing an upset stomach)
- A toxin
- Infectious causes (virus, bacteria, parasites, protozoa)
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
- An intestinal blockage
- etc.

If you would like to try conservative management at home, you can try to offer a bland diet. A common bland diet is boiled chicken and rice (2/3 rice and 1/3 chicken). I would try this for about 1 week, hoping that she improves over this time.

You can also consider giving 5mg of pepcid (famotidine) by mouth every 12 hours for 5 days for stomach upset. You can purchase this over the counter. They usually come in 10mg tablets, so you will give 1/2 tablet by mouth every 12 hours.

The second option would be to consult with your primary veterinarian. Signs that would make me more likely to recommend a veterinary visit and are of concern include:
- Continued vomiting
- Prolonged loss of appetite
- Increasing lethargy
- Blood in the stool.

Regarding a veterinary visit, tests they may consider performing include:
- Evaluation of the feces for abnormal bacteria or parasites
- Bloodwork to check electrolytes and organ values
- Potentially even x-rays.

Hopefully with a little food change / bland diet, everything will be better in a few days.

I hope this information helps - please let me know if you have other questions!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.