Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

what could make a dogs skin turn red from head to toe

what could make a dogs skin turn red from head to toe?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How old is your dog?

2. how long has your dog's skin been like this?

3. Is it itchy?

4. Did it come on suddenly?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Dr Scott

Maggi is a female Yorkshire terrier 10 years of age.

weight 4 Lbs.

Just noticed it this morning. she was rolling on her back for a bit but not a lot so there is most likely itching.

I would say suddenly.

She hasn,t lost he appitite and she is active and alert.

She was given a medicated bath and a yorkie dose of childrens Benadrl

Thanks for the quick reply,

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

1. The most likely cause would be an allergy of some sort, these can come on very suddenly and often slowly resolve on their own over a three to four day period.

2. If this is a skin allergy what you have done on a home remedy basis, the bath and the benadryl is entirely logical and you should be taking few risks in pursuing this course of action. Here is a link to a web site which covers the use of benadryl in depth including dose rates and contraindications : LINK

3. As long as she is otherwise bright and alert my advice would be to carry on as you are and have your vet check the dog over at the next available routine consultation if things do not quickly resolve. Of course if your dog deteriorates you should see an emergency vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thankyou Dr. Scott

You have been most helpful

Best regards

Maggi

Hello again,

No problem , I am very glad to advise you.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.