Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My dog reeks. A day after I wash her she smells so bad that

My dog reeks. A day after I wash her she smells so bad that the odor fills the house and hits me the minute I come through the door. It' resembles the smell of rancid butter. She has cancer but is not having any symptoms except that she scratches excessively at times. I give her an antihistamine and this seems to cut down on the itching.

What is causing this odor and what can I do about this odor?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for your question.

What breed and age is your dog?

What type of cancer does your dog have?

What kind of shampoo are you using to wash her?

Does she have anything abnormal looking on her skin (flaXXXXX, XXXXXdruff, bumps, redness, greasiness, fleas, etc.)?

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is 8 years old. Two days after I wash her, she reeks again. I'm using shampoo from my vet: Malaseb. She just has a red streak that has just appeared on her belly where the cancer has been (started as a red dot). Her hair might be greasy, but it is hard to tell. Skin is scaley in random spots
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.
When dogs are stinking, it can be for various reasons, such as skin bacterial infections, fungal/yeast infections, cancer, seborrhea, to name a few.
Malaseb is a good shampoo for certain problems.
If it's not already been done, I would recommend a good skin workup - skin scrape for mites (it can take multiple scrapes to get a diagnosis), impression smears to look for certain skin bacteria or yeast organisms, ear cytology to look for certain types of infections, and possibly a small skin biopsy.
These tests can help determine if there is some other underlying problem that is not being treated. Sometimes antibiotics are needed for 2-3 weeks to cut down on bacteria that can cause an odor. Antifungal wipes, or medication may be needed if there is a yeast infection present. A change in shampoos may be required, depending on the test results.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no other questions for now. Obviously I need to go to my vet. What if I want to follow up with you later to avoid another vet visit and the cost?
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I would recommend having your dog evaluated by your veterinarian to try and get down to the bottom of it, so the most appropriate treatment can be started.
If you would like to ask another question for me, you can post it on the Veterinary question page and ask for Dr. Dave. Unfortunately with being so busy, I am not always able to check the JustAnswer questions on a daily basis, but I check when time allows.

Good luck with everything and take care,
Dr. Dave