CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog has swollen intestines. The x-ray shows inflammation.

My dog has swollen intestines. The x-ray shows inflammation. He will only eat a certain biscuit. I have tried boiled chicken and salmon he refuses the most desired foods. I have given him a table spoon full of probiotic Acidophilus for 2 days straight but It doesn't seem to help. what would you recommend?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 7 years ago.
Hi Wanda,

I have a few questions to better help answer your question.

1) Dog's age?

2) Breed?

3) How long has this been going on?

4) Were the intestines all swollen, or enlarged? or just 1 part?

5) Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1) Age=13 years

2) Yellow Lab

3) It's been coming on slowly for a month. but the non-eating part has been 6 days.

4) As far as I can figure the vet said " look at the xray you can see the intestines are inflammed.

5) No vomiting and the dog drinks lots of water.

Up until this episode the dog has lots of energy, likes to play and always has an insane appetite. For give my spelling.
Hi there,

Without seeing the x-rays in person - it is very difficult to say :(

Possible causes may include:
- Enteritis
- Pancreatitis
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Cancer
- etc.

While supportive care, such as a bland diet can be used (and you have discussed above), I do worry more in an older dog (13) that there may be an underlying cause, rather than just an upset stomach.

If you said - what would you do if it was your dog? I was have an abdominal ultrasound performed. That would give you a detailed look at the intestines, much more than an x-ray would be able to show.

I hope this information helps!
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.