Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

compare and contrast arteries, capillaries, and veins with

compare and contrast arteries, capillaries, and veins with respect to their structure and function
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Is this for a project or report or something like that?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's for a homework report.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the response, I have one more question so I can frame my answer, what grade ;evel is this for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
First semester vet tech. school.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the information:

The comparisons are that they are all part of the circulatory system and they both control and guide the flow of blood.

The contrast: arteries always lead away from the heart and veins always return to the heart. Arteries have thick striated and smooth muscular walls and veins do not, veins only have smooth muscle. Arteries have no valves and veins have many valves. Capillaries are found on the venous and arterial "sides" of the blood stream. The can be as thin as a single cell. Most capillaries are fenestrated to allow the exchange of fluid, nutrients and oxygen. Arteries and veins do not allow for vascular change.

I hope this helps, if you need more info let me know. Good luck in your studies.

Dr. Dan