Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog has a lump on his head..... when i touch it you can

My dog has a lump on his head..... when i touch it you can feel a tube type thing running from it down his neck..... i pushed at it and a grey substance came out... it was about 1.5cm long the width of a straw it felt like playdough to touch and had no smell.... the dog is a shar pei
How long has this lump been there? Has it gotten larger since you first noticed it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My partner seems to think she had been noticing it for a while - 2 months and that it had appeared to have gotten bigger in the last week or 2....

Cheers

Is the skin discolored? Is there hair loss?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Nope..... just a slight lump the size of say half a peanut right on the top of his head no discolouration or hair loss and as i said from the lump there appears to be some sort of tube that runs down the back of his neck as far as i can feel...

As a side issue he is suffering from quite bad hair loss elsewhere at the moment, we've been told it's more than likely malting but it's basically now been happening since late january???

When the gray substance came out, did the lump seem "deflated" or smaller in size?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not initially but i do believe it was slightly smaller the following day..... i haven't mentioned this earlier but i have actually taken him to his vet... he didn't know what was happening so he sent away a sample of the grey stuff to get tested before he proceeds...

Basically i was just asking the question here in case someone had seen this before as he had not???

Also i just remembered that the grey stuff had a lot of tiny little black hairs in it.... breswer (the dog) is a sandy/tan colour and doesn't have a black hair on his body????

It sounds to me like this grey material is probably sebum, which is the secretion of the glands of the skin -- and I suspect that the lump is a sebaceous cyst, which is usually benign, but if problematic, it can be removed surgically. Most cancerous growths will not have this type of secretion, in my experience.

The presence of hairs could indicate that this is a follicular cyst, where the hair follicle has dilated, and is growing hairs under the skin, sort of like a giant ingrown hair. Either way, it should be removed surgically if it is a problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much mate.... you were a great help Smile