Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Can I give my dog flexeril

Customer Question

Can I give my dog flexeril
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomerbr />
In direct answer to your question : Do not contemplate giving this drug to your dog. I say this because :

Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) is not a drug well tolerated in dogs. It has been shown to have side effects including depression, incoordination, and weakness.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr, thanks for the answer.

the dog is mixed mutt looks like he has some corgi or something short and stocky in him. he is about 6 years old and was on the verge of death when we found him as a puppy. he has had a decent life and he is a great dog with the kids (almost 6 and 4) but some days he has a really hard time like he has arthritis and whines as he gets up sometimes, but otoher days he does awesome which is why I think arthritis since I get that. but I also think he gets some muscle spasms. Is there something you would reccomed, we had gotten some over the counter stuff from the petstore that seemed to work, but we are out so I was just looking to see what we could do in times like this with what we have, asprin, motrin and the likes.

Hello again,

Thanks very much for the accept and the bonus.

I have to say that your vet will be able to prescribe a suitable prescription drug which will be safer and more suited for long term usage than any over the counter human pain relief medication.

However on a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK