Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

Do female rabbits get periods?

Do female rabbits have periods of bleeding like women, and do female rabbits who are single need neutering? I have a girl rabbit, 3 years old, but I discovered today that she has a little blood on her back tail underneath. I am worried. Should I take her to the hospital.

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 7 years ago.

Rabbits usually do not have bleeding periods. There are three common reasons that bunnies seem to bleed from their "backside" The most common in females is uterine cancer which unfortunately can happen at any age of bunny. The next most common is a urinary tract infection. The final and least common is bloody stool. Unfortunately most of the time when we see frank (bright red) bleeding from female bunnies it is a uterine tumor. The good news is that most of the time the tumor doesn't spread too much, and after the tumor is removed by spaying, the problem is resolved and most bunnies go on to live a very normal life. (Don't forget though that if I'm right and it's a tumor that all tumors behave differently and there are never promises in animal medicine). So to answer your second question, yes single female rabbits need neutering/spaying. I would not make an emergency trip to the hospital tonight unless you are really worried, but I would certainly visit your rabbit savvy vet in the morning so they can begin figuring out where the blood is coming from. I hope this helps, best wishes.