Dr. Jan
Dr. Jan, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of veterinary experience; graduate of UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

my chihuahua has not been eating or drinking and is vomiting

Customer Question

my chihuahua has not been eating or drinking and is vomiting yellowish stuff, dont really have money for the vet. Is there anything i can do to help her? She's about &months old.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

Could you tell me how long your puppy has been sick? Has she received 3 sets of puppy vaccines (distemper/parvo combination)? Does she have any diarrhea?

I'm assuming she is 7 (&) months old? Is that correct?

Dr. Jan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

she's only had her first set of shots i believe. We got her from a neighbor that moved away and he told us she was due for sec set of shots. We've had her for about 2wks now, and she's been sick for 2days. She doesn't have diarrhea so far and she seems to be hungry but wont eat her food. We feed her Pedigree for puppies.

Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

How often is your little girl vomiting? When was the last vomit? (how many hours ago). How is her energy level? (normal, lethargic, very depressed)? What have you tried to feed her other than the Pedigree? Is she on canned or dry food?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she has'nt vomited in about 6hrs, the last one was this morning. her energy level is lethargic, she trys to play but doesnt have the energy and we feed her dry food. Since i got her she never really wanted the food but has no choice, it was obvious that her previous owner fed her table food. She constantly begs when she sees us eating
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

Since your puppy hasn't been fully vaccinated for Parvo, it is possible that she is infected with this virus which causes lethargy, vomiting, lack of appetite, and progresses to bloody diarrhea, dehydration and death.

Other than Parvo virus, there are other viruses and bacteria that can causes illness in a young dog. The other concern in a puppy is that she could have chewed up or partially eaten something that is causing a stomach upset; if she vomits everything she eats, then an intestinal obstruction is a possibility. This is usually diagnosed via an Xray (sometimes with barium).

At this poini, it is very important to get food and fluids into her. This is the time to try a good quality canned puppy food with her. Alternatively you can give her some cooked, chicken meat (without skin and bones) and cooked white rice in equal amounts. This is a bland, easy to digest diet.

Since chihuahuas are such small dogs, they are more likely to become dehydrated in a short amount of time (within 24 hours) so you can also give her warmed-up chicken broth or chicken noodle soup (which has important electrolytes in it). The other thing you can give her is Pedilyte (infant electrolye solution, found at most drug/grocery stores). Use the unflavored variety and use an eyedropper or something similar to give it to her by mouth. She probably won't drink it on her own.

It's also helpful to take her temperature (using a rectal thermomter); normal temp in a dog is 100-102.5 F so anything over 103F is a fever. If she is running a fever and continues not to eat, then it's probably a good idea to have her checked out by your vet on Monday.

Good luck,

Dr. Jan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much. u have been extremely helpful, and i feel so much better! I'll do everything you advised.
Expert:  Dr. Jan replied 7 years ago.

You're very welcome. Best of luck.

Happy Easter,

Dr. Jan