Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has a hard swollen bump at the base of his penis toward

Customer Question

My dog has a hard swollen bump at the base of his penis toward his testicles and it is causing him pain and he won't walk, he is just lying down and when i touch his leg he whines, what could this be?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomerbr />
I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Did this just suddenly happen?

2. If it has been there for while how many days or weeks has it been present?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just noticed it yesterday, He didn't have the lump previously, when I touch the lumpy area it is hard, it feels like there is a small tennis ball inder the skin. Thank you so much for your reply and help, I am worried.
Thanks for the quick reply,

For a dog to get an erection it gets two swollen areas on the shaft of the penis, check the photo below and come back and tell me if the swellin is in the same area on your dog. Note on the picture the dog has its sheath retracted.

Is your dog otherwise bright and happy ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes he is happy most of the time, he is not neutered yet as well, i just touched his area gently and it feels to me like it is an erection but the top of his penis is not erect and I must add that he had diarrhea last night and vomited as well. Help!
Hello again,

If your dog's penis looks anything like the photo and his foreskin retracted then it could be a situation called paraphimosis. The usual problem is that he is unable to retract his foreskin because of the erection. The trapped foreskin then can prevent blood flow from the penis and more swelling will occur and the penis will stay protruded.

What to try is to gently lubricate the shaft of the penis use a lubricant gel if you have access to any or just lots of soap and water and gently try to retract the foreskin.

Another approach is to make up a warm saturated sugar solution and place the dog's penis in it if this is possible say using a large cup, otherwise just poultice the penis with the solution but saturate the whole area. This very often works because of an osmosis effect of the sugar, you have to do this for about twenty minutes.

If you cannot resolve the situation by the above common sense means then you should have your vet take a look, sooner rather than later before permanent damage occurs.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS