Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog ate a bandage gauze that was about 12 inches square

My dog ate a bandage gauze that was about 12 inches square very open weave but it had blood and antiseptic pre-rinse mouth wash on it. I was cleaning a wound on my head and that was all the antiseptic I could find. The mouth wash bottle says not to swallow. Will he throw up, will he dehydrate? what should I do?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Do you know the ingredients of the mouth wash?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Drew, Yes I have them right here, Water, alchohol (8%) hydrogen peroxide,sodiumphosphate, poloxamer 407, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium citrate, flavors, sodium saccharin, sucralose. That is everything.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
ok, thanks for the information. I don't think that anything in that is going to be terribly toxic, but I am worried that the gauze has the potential to cause a blockage or obstruction. He may be able to vomit that up on his own, especially with the hydrogen peroxide in the mouthwash, but if not, your veterinarian may wish to induce vomiting to prevent the gauze from progressing from the stomach into the intestines. If it makes it to the intestines, it's nearly guaranteed that there will be a blockage, so definitely get some veterinary attention ASAP!.