Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My Great Danes paw and lower leg are extremely swollen. Is

My Great Dane's paw and lower leg are extremely swollen. Is there anything we can give her to relieve the swelling and pain until Monday?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Is she putting weight on the leg? If you push your thumb into the swelling, does the skin stay indented where your thumb was?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is putting very little weight on her leg. When I push on the skin it does stay indented. Not sure if it matters but she still has a very good appetite but isn't drinking as much as she normally would.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. The indented skin is a sign that she has "pitting edema" -- that means that there is fluid accumulation between the cells, which is most commonly caused by a blockage of lymph vessels higher up in the leg, possibly as a result of a swollen lymph node, trauma, or a tumor. The fact that she is putting little weight on the leg could fit with any of these possible diagnoses.

You can try warm soaks with epsom salts, to try to draw some of the fluid out, but my experience is that it may not be that effective. If she is still eating well, she's most likely not in severe pain, though each dog has a different threshold for pain tolerance. I would definitely recommend medical attention for her as soon as you can, to find out why this edema is there.