Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

Why is my dog now peeing all over the house when he didnt

Why is my dog now peeing all over the house when he didn't before? I do now have another dog who also has accidents some, but now my male dog is peeing all over. I know it must be related to marking territory, but I think it might also be his age (he's a 9 year old bullmastiff). More importantly, what can I do to make it stop?!! I can't stand it anymore!
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 5 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian

• Does he have any other symptoms- weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy?
  • Is he neutered?
  • Does he drink a lot of water?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He has lost some weight, which initially was a good thing. Now I don't know. He has always been on the lethargic side...or at least not a very active dog. He is neutered. I have not noticed a change in his water consumption.

When we trace back the start of the problem, it seemed to start once we put an area rug in both the family room and living room and the other dog had a few accidents there. We then realized that he was actually having a lot of the "accidents" that we would discover. We could tell the difference because his wet spots would always be next to something...he was lifting his leg. The other dog (a female) would live a smaller puddle in the middle of the floor. She is a Boggle, or Boston Terrier/Beagle mix...and has been the source of many problems since we got her! Never had a problem with the bullmastiff until now.

Before assuming this is a behavioral problem I think it best to make sure that it is not a medical condition, especially in light of possible weight loss. Here are some possibilties for medical conditions:

• Urinary Tract Infection- Urinary tract infections may cause blood to appear in the urine and are more common in female dogs. Symptoms include painful urination, having to urinate more often in smaller amounts and drinking more water. Urinalysis and sometimes a urine culture are necessary to diagnose an infection. Antibiotics are necessary to clear the problem. It would be less likely in this case considering he is male.
  • Diabetes- The increased sugar in the urine causes the need to urinate more often and hence the need to drink more. Bloodwork is necessary to diagnose it and many dogs eat well but lose weight. It is treatable with insulin injections. This is a strong possibility. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/diabetes-in-dogs/page1.aspx
  • Liver Disease- There are many different causes of liver disease. Bloodwork is necessary to start and then more tests may be needed to pinpoint the actual cause. Treatment depends on the cause. Usually there are other symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Cushing's Disease- This is an increase of steroids in the body that causes the symptoms you are seeing. Blood tests can diagnose the problem and treatment is possible but it is generally very expensive. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/search.aspx?c=0&q=cushing's+disease
  • Addison's Disease- This is a problem with the adrenal gland. It is treatable with medications and specific blood tests are necessary to diagnose it. Here's a link: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoadrenocorticism-addison-s-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx

There are other possibilities as well but they are less common. Bloodwork and an urinalysis are the first step to diagnosing the problem. If everything looks good on the tests then you can probably assume this is a behavioral problem. If you have more questions please let me know.

Dr. Christian K., Veterinarian
Experience: 12 year of veterinary experience in surgery, medicine and behavior