Dr. Jan
Dr. Jan, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of veterinary experience; graduate of UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.

my dog just ate an ant bait, containing Sodium Tetraborate

my dog just ate an ant bait, containing Sodium Tetraborate Decahydrate. 5.4%. he weighs 28lbs. what should i do? please help, it's late, no vets open.

This is Dr. Jan and I just got your question about your dog ingesting an ant bait.

Fortunately Sodium Tetraborate is not too toxic to dogs. It causes mild intestinal irritation so your dog may have some vomiting and diarrhea for the next 24 hours but often there are no symptoms at all. It is rather common for dogs to ingest these ant traps.

There is no need to induce vomiting. Just watch your dog. If he starts vomiting, do not feed him, just offer some water because you want to rest the stomach.

I hope you get this message as I see that you are offline now. I hope this helps.

Dr. Jan