Dr. JD
Dr. JD, Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ years experience, special interest in behavior, shelter medicine
15636213

Allergic reaction to cleaning products( ) Red welts, difficulty

Allergic reaction to cleaning products(?) Red welts, difficulty breathing
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

Can you give me a little more information?

What kind of pet do you have? How much does he/she weigh?

How old is he/she?

When did you first notice the bumps and the changes in breathing?

What makes you think it is a cleaning product?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

3 yr old white mini schnauzer, 17 lbs Noticed a few hours ago..red swollen area above eyes. She has allergy issues and we often give her children's Benadryl. This is not helping with her current problem. The cleaning lady was using new products
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She has dime size welts, her skin is hot to the touch also
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

How much benadryl have you given since you noticed it? When did you give it?

What is her breathing like?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One hour ago, has not helped, just gave another, labored breathing and shivering a little
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

So you gave a children's benadryl (12.5mg) one hour ago and just gave another one within the last few minutes?

Do you have any shampoo you can use to bathe her? do you know what cleaner or what part of the house she might be reacting to?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I bathed her in cold water and gave her the Benadryl a about an hour ago.
She was in the laundry room when I got home and is in the bedroom now.
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

She might be shivering from the cold bath. Make sure she is totally dry and warm. Wrap her up in a blanket and try to keep her quiet and calm.

So to clarify, you've given 2 children's benadryl in the last hour? The first dose was an hour ago and the second dose was just a few minutes ago? Is that correct?

Benadryl is good for preventing allergic reactions, but not always too effective at reducing the symptoms once we see them. It should help prevent it from worsening, and I would repeat and give 25 mg benadryl every 4-6 hours tonight and tomorrow.

If she seems comfortable and can rest, you should be ok to see how she does tonight, and could take her to your vet in the morning if it hasn't cleared on the benadryl alone.

If you are really concerned about her, especially with the breathing, you could take her to an emergency clinic tonight, where they would probably administer a steroid to help reduce the swelling more immediately.

Dr. JD, Veterinarian
Experience: 15+ years experience, special interest in behavior, shelter medicine