Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Exotic animal veterinarian for 16 years.

My guinea pig has had her right eye half way closed for a couple

My guinea pig has had her right eye half way closed for a couple of days with a some yellow/white discharge. She has also been sneezing green stuff. She is eating okay, and everything is pretty normal. Is there anything I could do for her to make her better?

Hi, thank for your question. I'm sorry to hear that your guinea pig is sick.

From your description, it sounds like your pig has an upper respiratory infection. This is fairly common in guinea pigs. It is good that she is still eating because pigs don't always do very well when they get ill. This infection can worsen so the best thing to do would be to take her to a vet that sees pigs soon. She will need to be given systemic antibiotics and they may prescribe something for her eye also.   There is nothing you can give her that is offer the counter as those products are no longer effective and will not help her. Also, guinea pigs are very sensitive to certain antibiotics so you want to take her to a vet that deals with pigs commonly.

At home, continue to offer her lots of her favorite foods and make sure she is getting her vitamin C.    Vitamin C supplementation is necessary for all pigs, but they need a bit more when sick. You may want to gently take a warm cloth and wipe the discharge from her eye/nose.    Make sure her bedding is not dusty or irritating, I like recycled paper products not pine/cedar chips.

If you do not know of a vet who sees pigs, you can search or (most vets who see rabbits will see pigs) or let me know where you live and I may be able to help with a referral.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. This site is good also:

I hope she does okay.
Dr. G
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much! That was really helpful. I can probably find a vet in our area that treats guinea pigs, since there are a lot of pet veterinary offices. Thank you so much!
Your welcome!   If you need anything else or have questions about what your vet did, just hit reply, not accept.

Dr. G