Dr. JD
Dr. JD, Veterinarian
Experience:  15+ years experience, special interest in behavior, shelter medicine
15636213

What are some of the benefits of being a veterinarian

Customer Question

What are some of the benefits of being a veterinarian?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

May I ask a little bit more about why you are interested?

Are you thinking of becoming a veterinarian?

Do you mean practical or emotional benefits?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm majoring in Pre-Veterinary medicine at Gadsden State Community College, & want to know exactly what I'm getting into. I was inquiring about both practical, & emotional benefits.
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

Veterinary medicine is a very wide field. There are opportunities to practice at a hospital, work with shelters, continue your education beyond veterinary school and specialize in a particular area or field, in the government and military, and in the private sector such as with drug companies.

Vet school is hard work and veterinary medicine as a career, esp in private practice, involves keeping up with current trends in medicine with continuing education courses, and dealing with emotional situations on a daily basis.

The financial compensation varies based on what field you go into, but can be very good, especially since most employers will pay salary, health benefits, and cover the costs of your continuing education courses and license fees. You will get vacation time each year to unwind.

The emotional benefits are vast. You have a chance every day to make a difference in an pet's life through educating owners and providing preventative advice. Also, you will have the hero moments of being able to save someone's beloved pet. As with any medical career, though, there can be frustrations with owners that won't take your advice, that case you can't figure out, or that emergency you can't save.

It will be very important to figure out a balance for yourself so that you can remain a compassionate and caring vet but not get so caught up in the emotions that it impairs your mental health.

I've known too many vets who overwork themselves and get burned out.. so take breaks, take vacations, and make sure when you do graduate and go out to find a job, that you feel like you will be a good fit in that particular practice situation.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, please let me know!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm planning on going into small animal practice. Any more advice on that?
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.

That's what I am in.

Most of what I said above pertains especially to that. They don't (or didn't when I was in school) spend a lot of time teaching you good people skills.. and you really need good communication skills and an understanding of people as a practitioner. While you are treating the pets' medical conditions, you are often also dealing with the owners' emotional needs and responses, including grief, sadness, confusion, and occasionally anger.

Something else they don't help you with in vet school is business training. If possible in undergrad, I'd try to take some classes in basic business management, especially if you think you might want to eventually own your own practice.

Any thing else? Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I didn't know I'd need business training too. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome...
Expert:  Dr. JD replied 5 years ago.
If you think of any more questions, feel free to let me know.