Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist
Experience:  MBBS MS (Surgery) Vast experience and routinely perform all urology procedures including endoscopy.
5625079

A QUESTION FROM MY SON WHO IS 53 YEARS OLD: I am currently

Customer Question

A QUESTION FROM MY SON WHO IS 53 YEARS OLD:
I am currently battling Interstitial Cystitis. Back in June I had the Interstim Surgery. My condition was not great but was improving steadily. The past three months I was on level 4 at 2.0. For some reason on Saturday I went into retention. I could go but it would take forever. It got so bad I put myself on a foley catheter so I could function at work. I called my doctor he said I have a history with retention. That is true but has not been a problem for a few years. He told me to leave the catheter in for a day or two. Take it out and just change my program. My question is why did this happen out of the blue and what are my options
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

This can happen due to prostate enlargement. The symptoms of prostate enlargement are fluctuating and there may be some poor stream, increased frequency, urgency etc, earlier too before the retention; but may have been thought of as interstitial cystitis.

You may consider following investigations;

1) Urine culture; a prostatitis can also cause retention and that would be ruled out by it.

2) Ultrasound of prostate; for assessing enlargement.

3) Video urodynamics; this indicates about the bladder contraction, its nerve supply, pelvic floor issues, outflow obstruction etc.

You may ask meanwhile medications for prostate enlargement from your doctor, before removing the Foley.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/