Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am to have bladder repair. they state I will probably have

Customer Question

I am to have bladder repair. they state I will probably have to use a catheter at home to empty my bladder. I am frightened I won't be able to put it in by myself? Is this a normal concern
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: I have had it for 5 years and it is bad
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: what do you mean?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: worry that I won't be able to put it in by myself, don't have any help
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 10 days ago.
What type of bladder repair?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
cystocele
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I do have trouble emptying my bladder, she stated I will most likely have problems emptying after the surgery/ Will this be for a long time or just a few weeks while recovering?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am waiting for your answer?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 10 days ago.
With a cystocele repair, you should not have problems and emptying the bladder after surgery as long as you have normal bladder function before surgery. If you do have problems emptying the bladder, this may be related to anesthesia or the pain medicine that you are taking from the surgery. If this is the case, the problem emptying the bladder should resolve within One week of surgery. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.