Scott Rebich
Scott Rebich, Doctor
Experience:  Resident physician
96592888

I've just been advised that my PSA went from 1.5 to 3.7 in

Customer Question

I've just been advised that my PSA went from 1.5 to 3.7 in two years. I am 72 years old. I am trying to figure out what that means.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No.... and I am taking amlodopine benazadril for hypertension. thats all.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: I just had a check up..... and one 6 months ago too. My parents had hypertension.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a urologist and will be seeing him. He knows my history.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, PSA is a glycoprotein produced by prostate epithelial cells. PSA levels may be elevated in men with prostate cancer because PSA production is increased and because tissue barriers between the prostate gland lumen and the capillary are disrupted, releasing more PSA into the serum. Studies have estimated that PSA elevations can precede clinical disease by 5 to 10 years or even longer. However, PSA is also elevated in a number of benign conditions, particularly benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and prostatitis

Men with a PSA rate of change (PSA velocity) greater than 0.75 ng/mL/year were at increased risk of being diagnosed with prostate cancer, and therefore, you will need to have a biopsy with the urology physician to rule out prostate cancer

Therefore, the fact that you went from 1.5 to 3.7 into years means that your velocity was too high or that your PSA was increasing too fast. Normally, it should have only increased by .75 a year which means that your PSA this year should have only been around a maximum of three.

Let me know if you have any additional questions please.

If not, please rate my services.