Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I was unable to urinate and went to emergency and had a

Customer Question

I was unable to urinate and went to emergency and had a catheter inserted. After a few days I went to a urologist and was able to urinate when the catheter was removed. Only a "harmless caruncle" was found but I am very worried about having the problem again. In addition to the above I have a lot of air releasing from the bowels. What can be done?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I saw the urologist who did the scan and told me about the caruncle but said come back in 3 months. I want immediate treatment to prevent further trouble. I also saw my general doctor. The only meds I take are one baby aspirin (previous clots to both lungs following back surgery in 2012) and sometimes 1 m. Ativan for sleep.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a lot of history and am 84. I had diphtheria (in Ireland at 11) and TB at 21. I have breast cancer in 2002 and again in 2005. Back surgery 2012 and partial knee replacement in 2014.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Stomach is bloated sometimes and I release a lot of air. I don't know now whether I should drink a little or a lot and the urine stream is usually weak and sometimes delayed, though I had had a big stream a few times since I had the complete retention.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Are you male or female? If male, your prostate was fine?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I found this now on my computer. I could not read the last answer from you on the iPhone as the print was so small. So could we go back to that, please?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 16 days ago.

We're here now--I was asking if you were male or female, and, if male, was there any problem with your prostate