Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

Feels like something pressing against my bladder or urinary

Customer Question

feels like something pressing against my bladder or urinary track.. peeing often but onle small amounts come out with lots of discomfort.. a few things this could be?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: set for tomorrow am no meds but viagra on occassion
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: possibly allergic to pensylin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: had an injury to a testical over 10 yrs go. other than that not really
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your symptoms. The symptoms which you are describing can be consistent with a UTI first of all. This can cause the sensation of incomplete emptying as well as the frequency and also pain while urinating. This is the most common cause for symptoms like these. Other symptoms can include dark colored urine, burning urination, odor to teh urine etc. The diagnosis is fairly simple with the help of a urine analysis and a culture. The treatment is with increased intake of water as well as antibiotics. Antibiotics usually clear up the problem within a few days.

ANother cause of this can be cystitis. This is inflammation of teh bladder which can occur due to an infection or due to other causes. Again an infection is the most common cause here. This again would need urine tests to be diagnosed however an ultrasound would also be necessary here. The treatment is again with antibiotics. There is a form of cystitis which is known as interstitial cystitis. This is actually due to an autoimmune cause in which you would have symptoms of a UTI/cystitis but wont have an infection. This would present with WBCs in teh urine without any bacteria. The diagnosis is made with a cystoscopy and then treated with steroids among other drugs.

Yet another cause of this can be an obstruction in teh urinary tract because of a small stone. Stones can get stuck anywhere in teh urinary tract and in partial obstructions you will be able to pass urine but with obstruction. Bladder stones by themselves can also cause these sensations. This again would need an ultrasound to be diagnosed.

My suggestion would be to get the above tests done when you visit your doctor and in the meantime increase your water intake as that does help in many cases.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/