Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I am a 68yr old male that just found out I have prostate

Customer Question

I am a 68yr old male that just found out I have prostate cancer. My gleason score was a 7 (3 + 4) My PSA was 4.8. Looking at the da Vinci surgery. Told not emergency .
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: not sure what that means
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no cancer in family History. Only had 2 total hip replacements
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 25 days ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Prostate cancer. The statement the "Not Emergency" means your cancer is very slow growing and will not change the outcome if surgery is delayed by several months. Your consideration of robotic surgery is an excellent choice. With this procedure there is less blood loss, less muscle damage, less chance of erectile dysfunction and faster recovery than conventional surgery. Have you also discussed the possibility of hormonal therapy with your doctor? This may also be an option for you. Which ever treatment you dicide to go with should give you an excellent outcome and many additional years of healthy living.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
OK is Hormonal therapy a cure or just slow down?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 25 days ago.

Hormonal is not a cure as surgery is, but can be used if the cancer is spread outside of the prostate. You have a Gleason score of 3 + 4 indicating spread of tumor, so surgery and hormone therapy will give better prognosis (healthy life expectancy).

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 24 days ago.

Have you made your decision for treatment for your Prostate?