Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care
18722459

My mom is 84. We have been in and out of ER all week, even

Customer Question

My mom is 84. We have been in and out of ER all week, even had an overnight stay for possible UTI induced paranoia and confusion. only a low chronic bacteria count was cultured, no "raging" UTI diagnosed. She had trouble emptying her bladder at first, then is urinating constantly now. WE have been asked to stop giving her the antibiotics that were originally prescribed until she sees a urologist in four days. But the dementia and anxiety continues, and we dont know if if would make any difference is we continued the antibiotics as it may help the confusion?? Could the urologist still help her even if we have given antibiotics?
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: she has recent confusion and paranoia. Chronic ute history in the past , tho
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she is taking a post cancer drug- anastrozole
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Was she fine before the UTI started?

Were other blood tests done?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There wasn't any real uti.. when she became confused and anxious an depressed we went in thinking it was uti. Not really they said but take antibiotics anyway. Then urologist wouldn't see her until she was off them . So that is now four days away and the confusion and paranoia and excessive urination continues. / it is the weekend . Past two days spent in hospital w catherter.. now today she is urinating constantly. Is it ok to finish the antibiotic even tho they say no infection? What can the urologist not do if she takes them until she sees him?!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she has had all the blood work done .. nothing shows
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 months ago.

OK.

A true UTI can do this to an elderly patient but since there isn't one, there's no need to continue the antibiotics.

The urologist can to some bladder emptying tests to see if she has a bladder motility problem.

I would be concerned, though that the excessive urination could cause dehydration or electrolyte imbalance so she needs to drink plenty of electrolyte rich fluids like juices and GatorAde.

Let me know if you need any more information.