Dr.S.A Alam
Dr.S.A Alam, MBBS
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS (R)
16248889

I have a blood protein of 5.7, MCV of 88, and RDW of 15.2. I

Customer Question

I have a blood protein of 5.7, MCV of 88, and RDW of 15.2. I am 62 years old and control my Type II diabetes with metformin (good daily results). Bilirubin was normal. I am concerned about the protein and RDW.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Good.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Avortastatin and losartin daily. My WBC profile, lipid profile and electrolytes profile was excellent.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr.S.A Alam replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question, if you do not have any symptoms then these abnormal values in protein and RDW do not mean anything. If you have symptoms of weight loss, variation in bowel habits or any unusual symptoms or allergy then you have to get peripheral blood film and detailed analysis of the protein levels in the blood to see if there is something wrong. IF these tests turn as normal then it means these values are false positive and do not point towards any serious issue. Thank you.