Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  General Physician, PGCSD
6740150

I have had a kidney stone for over a year and my kidneys are

Customer Question

I have had a kidney stone for over a year and my kidneys are starting to hurt what should I do
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: Acute
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age & gender?

Are you having pain in flanks?

Is there any discomfort in urination?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm a male 23 it feels like my back hurts all day
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ivr had it for a year I know that's not normal
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having pain in kidney area & diagnosed with kidney stone over a year ago needs to be treated now.

Exactly what causes a stone to form is not known.Whenever there is a disharmony or breakdown between the two functions of the kidney(to conserve water and to eliminate the body's waste substances) it leads to the formation of stones.

Urinary tract infections, kidney disorders such as cystic kidney diseases, and certain metabolic disorders such as hyperparathyroidism are linked to stone formation.

You need following tests:

-Complete urine examination

-X-rays

-Ultrasound of KUB area

-Other blood tests

Very small stones (like those that are less than ¼ inch or about 5 mm in size) usually can pass through the urinary tract and out of the body on their own with little or no pain.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact size of kidney stone & then treatment will be done accordingly.Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly in pain relief at back.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. And please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did get tested and they told me it was a 2 to 5mm in size so I thought it would of passed by now
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,stone size of upto 5 mm in size usually can pass through the urinary tract on their own with little or no pain. That stone 1 year ago of size 2-5 mm might have passed out in urine but as you are again having the pain and a person is always prone to get recurrence of kidney stone,I advise to have repeat ultrasound scan now & then treatment will be done accordingly.

If the pain is very severe,then you need to go to hospital/ER as shots of pain killers may be required accordingly.

And please do not forget to leave positive rating(3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

God bless you & take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Following will help you to pass the small sized kidney stone or to break the large sized kidney stone:

• Take adequate amount of fluids irrespective of the weather. Particularly, this helps in those who have a tendency to form stones
  • .Avoid food with added vitamin D and certain types of antacids that have a calcium base.Dont take calcium pills.
  • Especially water should be taken in large quantities
  • Studies have shown that drinking a quart of orange juice each day reduces the incidence of kidney stones in individuals susceptible to them. The citrate contained in the juice lowers the risk for stone formation.
  • Exercise daily to help your body break up the kidney stones. If your kidney stones are smaller than 5 mm you can help remove them with exercise.

Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) uses shock waves to break a kidney stone into small pieces that can more easily travel through the urinary tract and pass from the body.Stone fragments usually pass within a few weeks.

So my best advise for you is to make an early appointment with your urologist for the tests & then treatment will be done accordingly.

And I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating(3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Please see this picture for better understanding:

And please do not forget to leave positive rating(3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.

How is your pain now?

Have you taken tab.Ibuprofen 400 mg?
And please do not forget to leave positive rating(3 or more star) so I can get credit for helping you to we only get after positive feedback).
Thank you.
Kind Regards
Dr.Josh