drcaplan
drcaplan, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have specialized in common problems for men, women, children, and the elderly.
72350808

My husband is 90 and was never circumsized. Pearl. Never

Customer Question

My husband is 90 and was never circumsized.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Pearl. Never finished telling what my problem is...We can't pull the skin down over his penis. This morning there was blood and because he is a scratcher (?) I thought that could be the problem. After getting bleeding to stop with cold wash cloth...I tried to get skin down. It is loose but I can't seem to pull it down. Tried to use Vaseline, but no luck. Do you have any idea how I can check to see if that is the cause???
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: not sure what that means. It only starting this morning. Would soaking in tub help loosen it? As I said, skin in loose but just can't seem to pull skin down over penis.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not to cause this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and questions.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

In brief, it sounds like your husband has Phimosis. This should be managed in an emergency room.

Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

The blood is concerning, and although it could be an indication that he scratched himself, there are other reasons that are potentially worrisome, and deserve to have a physician eye on it immediately.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What exactly is Phimosis and what causes this?
Expert:  drcaplan replied 1 month ago.

Phimosis is the name for when the foreskin becomes adherent to the penis and cannot be retracted. It's a descriptive term. What causes it? It could be engorgement of the penis, or tightening of the foreskin, for a variety of possible reasons, including ambient temperature, local body temperature, infectious agents, irritation, tissue damage, inappropriate growth, just to name a few.