Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer based on the results of

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer based on the results of a biopsy which showed cancer in 2 of 12 cores. My Gleason score was a 7 (4 +3). I decided to have surgery based on the results of the biopsy. My surgeon is at Johns Hopkins and they make it a requirement to rerun the pathology. I was just told my Gleason was re scored at a 6 (3+3). My surgeon is still recommending the surgery but he wanted me to know. I'm 57 years old btw. Thanks.
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: I'm not sure I understand the question.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have no history of prostate cancer in either side of my family.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you have a diagnosis of prostate cancer. The difference in your Gleason score of 7 or 6 really doesn't make a significant difference in your outcome. At 57 you are relatively young to have prostate cancer and your survival rate is very high with only a Gleason 6 or 7. As an example, the 5 year survival rate for those having a Gleason 8 in a recent study prior to radical prostatectomy had a survival rate of 86%. So you should have an even better outcome.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Have you discussed your survival rate with your Surgeon?