Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  General Physician, PGCSD
6740150

I was a heavy daily drinker for the past 30+ years and have

Customer Question

I was a heavy daily drinker for the past 30+ years and have never been ill. My triglycerides (? on spelling) have always been high. I am slightly overweight, am on meds for bp have high cholesterol (not taking anything for that) and for the past 3 days my rear lower back is very tender and aches. It is hot to the touch and I have to slowly and painfully work hard to get up from a chair and especially a bed. My insurance doesn't kick in until November, am in south San Diego, where should I seek medical treatment? It's not getting worse, but not getting better and I think I have a fever. 49 year old hispanic male. I was also borderline diabetic for the past 5 plus years. Advice? I have been drinking only water since this started (thursday 10/20)
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Any history of lifting heavy weights in these last 3-5 days?

Any history of previous back aches or is this the first time?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described of having lower back pain-having tenderness & aches since last 3 days can be due to acute lumbar strain causing stretching injury to the ligaments, tendons, and/or muscles of the low back. It is one of the most common causes of low back pain.Another possibility is of lumbar radiculopathy.It is nerve irritation that is caused by damage to the discs between the vertebrae or it can occur when the nerves of the lumbar spine are irritated by mechanical cause or disease.

You need Nerve testing (EMG/electromyogram),radiology testing, such as X-ray of lower spine.

Following is recommended for you:

• Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the ice pack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore subside inflammation & hence the pain.

• Take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.
  • Apply analgesic gel such as diclofenac sodium twice a day
  • Have bed rest as much as possible.

All this will help you greatly.If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor for above described tests and prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatments.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

This lower back pain is not related to your heavy drinking,high cholesterol/triglyceride levels,high BP or border line diabetes.

But as you are slightly overweight,this aggravates the symptom of back pain.

And please see this picture & I am hopeful that this will help you in better understanding.

If you are done,then please leave a positive rating for my answer above the chat box.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.How is your lower back pain now?Have you applied ice & taken the above described OTC medications?

Do you need further assistance?

Your question is still open to ask.Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh