Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Physician
Experience:  General Physician, PGCSD
6740150

I have recurrent UTI and I have no kidney stones.. according

I have recurrent UTI and I have no kidney stones.. according to the ultrasound I have grade 1 prostatis.. I am looking for next steps to get rid of UTI
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: it started end of july.. and its repeating after I stop antibiotics.. never had UTI before I am 47
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: i have high blood pressure , take lisinopril - and I am active person

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have any discomfort/pain during urination?

Are you taking any treatment for prostatitis?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
While I am on antibiotic, I don't have pain or discomfort.. But I feel that I may have to urinate again. After I am done with antibiotic, I get pain while dripping only during the day time and the pain goes away by evening
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
every urine test shows +ve infection

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having recurrent UTI & diagnosed with grade 1 prostatitis,this seems to be the most probable cause of your recurrent UTI.

With age, the prostate gland begin to grow.The growth may eventually cause problems with urination, because the gland pinches off the urethra as it increases its size & you are more prone to get UTI.

Your pain & discomfort goes away while you are on antibiotics. You need to get treatment for the root cause that is for prostatitis.

There are two main types of medications for its treatment: alpha-blockers(Tamsulosin O) and 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors( Finasteride and dutasteride) relax muscles near the prostate while 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors shrink the prostate gland. Various studies have proved that a combination of alpha-blockers and 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors provides much better relief.

Your urologist will prescribe you 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors( Finasteride and dutasteride Alpha-blockers).

Antibiotics will only temporarily cure the infection & you will keep on having repeated infections.So my best advise for you is to please make an appointment with your urologist for the prescription medication so as to treat the root cause that is prostatitis & hence the symptoms of UTI.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just checking in to see how things are going.

Have you consulted your urologist?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am currently only rappaflo and sulfametha.. (antibiotic).. I have an appointment with Urologist next week. My concern is what if this not treated with known antibiotics.. what are the next steps

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

As you are taking the antibiotics appaflo and sulfamethoxazole,this will cure the infection but again,as you will stop it there is possibility of recurrence of infection.

You need to treat the root cause that is prostatitis.As you have the appointment with Urologist next week,you need to discuss for the prescription medications to treat prostate gland disease & hence this will prevent UTI in future.

If you are done,then please leave a positive rating for my answer above the chat box.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh