Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

I have been experiencing recurring UTIs for about a year. I

Customer Question

Hello. I have been experiencing recurring UTIs for about a year. I just finished a round of one antibiotic -- it didn't work, I am trying bacterim now. I've taken two pills -- but I sense it is not going to work. I am very very stressed out, at work, crying, cannot see a urologist...
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes --I've seen several doctors -- gotten cultures before -- right now, I'm waiting on a culture to come back from two different doctors. I also take vesicle for overactive bladder -- it doesn't help -- I'm taking AZO just to get thru the day but it doesn't help wither
JA: Is the condition chronic, or acute?
Customer: I believe now that it is chronic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Extreme anxiety. This needs to be taken very seriously because the symptoms of the UTI are making me ... approach a nervous breakdown -- in all seriousness
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello. I just put down the five dollar deposit. Can I expect to hear from a doctor soon? I am on my lunch break and hoping very much to address this.
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

It sounds like you need to be seen by a urologist who can perform a bladder cystoscopy and renal ultrasound to look for potential causes of your recurrent UTIs.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating (bonus appreciated) as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything you can do to help me until I can see a urologist? Please. I understand that's what I need to do. I have a rigorous job and may not be able to see someone for weeks. Please help.

For now, I would take the bactrim twice a day until the culture results come back (should not be more than 2 days).

Drink plenty of water and avoid soda, juice and alcohol intake.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. One final question. I started the ba trim
Yesterday at around 6:30 pm. In your experience, would my symptoms have abated by now if the Bactria were working or might it take more time for me to feel the benefit of the antibiotics?

Typically, antibiotics require 48 hours before they start taking effect so I would expect you to feel a bit better by tomorrow evening at the earliest.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In other words, should teonpills essentially make you feel "cured" or dies it sometimes take longer?

Yes, 10 pills are enough.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I meant to type two pills, not ten in my last question--my question was really more about: if the first two pills don't work, is it very likely this antibiotic will not work at all? Or can I still have hope that this antibiotic will work?

You will need to take at least 4 pills to know that answer since you are taking 2 pills each day and we need 2 days to see if the antibiotic would work.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

If not, please don't forget to leave a rating, thanks!