Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

Acute urinary retention (woman) ...treatments

Customer Question

acute urinary retention (woman) ...treatments
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 23 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 23 days ago.

I'm sorry you have a UTI

you need to see a doctor to get a urine culture to see what type of bacteria is in your urine.

it is always better to let the urine culture guide the choice of antibiotic pick

some bacteria can be resistant to certain antibiotics.

you can get a urine culture at the ER or urgent care center.

if you don't get a urine culture, then you are guessing at what antibiotic to use.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Did you even READ my question ? my sister has urinary retention and is in a rehab, Has had cipro (no good) and has been on IV antbiotics for over a week,, I am asking What are treatments for inability to urinate.. She has to have cratheterization to empty her bladder daily! There must be a cause and treatment (not just a UTI)
Expert:  Dr. David replied 23 days ago.

sorry about that

inability to urinate is a nerve issue like neurogenic bladder where the nerves are damage to the bladder

she should ask her doctor for a urinary catheter like foley catheter. which can temporary help her empty her bladder

until she can see a urologist to get nerve testing of her bladder.