Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I am on holiday in USA and today I have noticed blood in my

Customer Question

I am on holiday in USA and today I have noticed blood in my urine
I am here for 3 week should I see someone now or can I wait tell I go back to UK
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 26 days ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It would be better for you to be seen if you are having blood in the urine with no other symptoms.

There are many different causes of blood in the urine, and many do not need attention before you get back to the UK. However, one of the most common causes of blood in the urine is an infection of the urinary tract. And while the absence of other symptoms would indicate that it is not a severe infection, it may be an early infection, and not getting antibiotics in a timely manner will allow it to get more severe.

I would note that another common cause of blood int he urine is kidney stones, and kidney stones frequently need urgent attention. But the primary determinant of needing urgent attention would be the amount of pain caused by a kidney stones. If you are not having severe abdominal or back pain, it would be fine to manage kidney stones by increasing the amount of fluid intake.

So, it would be appropriate to be seen to at least be certain that there is not an early infection. If the initial evaluation shows that there is no condition that warrants urgent attention, then you can wait until you get back to the UK to complete the evaluation.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.