Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

My urinalysis results show 20-50 / wbc and 5-10 rbc what

Customer Question

My urinalysis results show 20-50 /HEY wbc and 5-10 rbc what does that mean?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No my job did it as part of an physical
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Also my occult blood was 1+
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: No problems noted
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. can i ask what is your age and gender? Do you have any past medical conditions or are you on any medications?

Since you seem to be offline, Ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well from what you are describing it seems evident that you may have developed an infection in the urinary tract which may include the bladder or even the kidney. This is because presence of 20-50 WBCs/hpf in the urine is a quite a lot and is not explained by many things apart from an infection. Similarly, 5-10 RBCs are also indicative of an infection in the urinary tract as well. It is possible that you may have a kidney stone which can cause WBCs due to infection and RBCs because of the stone itself in the urine. Now the next best step here is to get a urine culture done which would show if there are any bacteria present in the urinary tract. Secondly if there are no bacteria, then the possibility of interstitial cystitis would arise, this is a condition in which there is inflammation of the urinary bladder because if an autoimmune cause and would be diagnosed on a cystoscopy.

Now one last thing it is possible to have a UTI even without any prominent symptoms of burning, frequency, dark colored urine, lower abdominal pain, back pain, foul odor to the urine. In the early stages it is possible that you can be asymptomatic. So i would suggest that you follow up with your doctor with a urine culture and an ultrasound and see what they show.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.