Dr. David, MD
Experience:  Experienced physican in Urology

I have several medical conditions. Crohn's diease, high

Customer Question

I have several medical conditions. Crohn's diease, high blood pressure, PTSD, severe anxiety disorder, ADHD, asthma, arthritis and I had a gastric bypass 10 years ago.
My current issues are I have 2 infected teeth that are being removed in 2 days. This is an ordeal because I have to stop the Remicade for the crohns in order to have this done. Also the antibiotics I am taking for the tooth have caused me to have c. Diff issues again now.
From Oct-Feb last year I was basically bed ridden being so ill that by the time they figured out in March that it was c.diff I could barely lift my leg over the bath tub without using my arms to lift my leg. I had been making progress recovering until now the teeth again and the c.diff.
I went to the E.R. 7/30 for nausea and dehydration. I was treated and released and told
Mild dehydration
Magnesium deficiency
Looking at my lab work I was a little surprised to see my GFR was 43 which is stage G3b CKD??
The ER Dr did not mention this nor did my primary when I saw him last week.
I have never had a "bad" GFR on any previous labs.
Could this have resulted from my sick and weakened condition? Do I need to see a specialist right away? Or should
I wait a week or two until the teeth are removed and have finished the treatment for C. Diff and ask my Dr. to check my GFR again?
I have enough wrong already that
I don't want to start worrying about CKD now.
Thank You
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

dehydration can cause your creatinine levels to temporarily go up

when you creatinine levels go up, this causes your estimated or eGFR levels to go down since your eGFR is estimated with your age, sex, race and creatinine levels.

eGFR is not the same as a true GFR which is only obtained by a 24 hour urine collection.

once your nausea and dehydration is better and you are drinking more water and fluids, your creatinine levels will go back down and your eGFR will go back up.

you don't have to worry.

I bet your creatinine levels are normal now and your eGFR levels are normal now.

and you don't have kidney disease.

you don't have to worry about CKD

just keep drinking water and fluids and your kidneys will be fine

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using