Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My husband has this pain near his testicals. His primary

Customer Question

My husband has this pain near his testicals. His primary Doctor put him on antibiotic and said that he may have a bacteria. All of his symptoms didn't go away and the doctor said he had ecoli in his urine. What can that mean?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: The pain has been there on and off for most of the summer. A thirst it would come for a day and then go away. About two weeks ago the pain came back strong and wouldn't go away. He also had blood in his urine. The pain now is very faint maybe a 1 out of 10
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has diabetes and is morbidly obese. He also was diagnosed with depression and started medication 3 months ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 months ago.
What antibiotic was he on? How long of a course of antibiotic did he take?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Doxycycline 100mg for 42 days. But it was changed to another antibiotic. I'll have to get the name.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 months ago.

Was the e. coli sensitive to the doxycycline or the new antibiotic based on the culture results?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The new antibiotic was given based on the culture results. SMz-tmp Ds 800-160 mg
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 months ago.

How long was he on this new antibiotic for? Has he had a follow-up scrotal ultrasound? Has he been taking any NSAIDS like ibuprofen?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has a referral for the ultrasound. He was given ibuprofen for pain. He just was prescribed the medicine today.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 months ago.

OK. It sounds like they are doing the correct things for him. It sounds to me like he may either have a residual testicle infection that may need more antibiotics, or this may just be residual pain from the recent infection. The ibuprofen should help stop the pain from the inflammation. The ultrasound and a repeat urine culture will help to rule out persistent infection. Hope this helps.