Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis

The bacteria enterococcus has shown up in my urine. how do I

Customer Question

the bacteria enterococcus has shown up in my urine. how do I treat it? Thank you.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My doctor has had me on 3 rounds of antibiotics. The first two times only for four days. The third time 5 days. This has been going on since May.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have adrenal hyperplasa
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Do you have the culture report with you? What antibiotics have you used already, their names? Has an ultrasound been done or a cystoscopy?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

The first thing which needs to be considered here is whether the bacteria is resistant to various antibiotics or not, since you have undergone three courses of antibiotics it does sound like that it is resistant to most antibiotics. If this is the case then vancomycin may be needed to clear the urinary tract of this bacterium. Many enterococci can be only sensitive to vancomycin.

Secondly you need to be worked up to determine why you are getting repeated infections, it is possible that you may have a source of the bacteria inside your bladder which may need an ultrasound to be determined. ANother thing which can be done is to look inside your bladder with the help of a cystoscope which uses a camera to observe the inner surface of the bladder.

Lastly, you should also be worked up for immunodeficient states which can predispose you to develop various infections. Diabetes as well as increased amount of steroids in your body can cause this problem. Since you have adrenal hyperplasia it is possible that you adrenal glands are producing increased steroids which is contributing to this problem. A simple cortisol level would be beneficial here.

I would recommend that you first get a repeat culture done with a full sensitivity profile as well as an ultrasound, cystoscopy followed by a workup for cushing disease (increased steroid production in your body).

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,