Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I had a vasectomy about 13 years ago. and I was in

Customer Question

I had a vasectomy about 13 years ago. and I was in california about two weeks ago in the ocean and ever since i got out of the ocean. I had a small discomfort in my incision area. i looked tonight at it and it had a small amount of white puss. So i applied betadine to the area. whats your thoughts?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: not yet.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: none
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a close-up picture of the wound with the pus?

I had asked if you could attach a picture of the wound with the pus and have not heard back.

If this is infected, the Betadine will usually not be sufficient. The Betadine is primarily used to prevent infections, but once an infection has set in, the Betadine is usually not sufficient to clear the infection.

If there is a minor infection, then it wold be fine to try an over the counter topical antibiotic, such as Neosporin. If there is a more significant infection, then it would usually be better to take an oral antibiotic, but that would require seeing your doctor.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.