Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

To relive some anxiety. I was reading online that balanitis

Customer Question

To relive some anxiety. I was reading online that balanitis may be caused by genital herpes. I was told by the two physicians that I have seen that they are two different things and that your uretha would be affected. In this situation would that be a cause from the looks of it? And is that even a possible cause at all?
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just spoke to you about my balanitis 10 minutes ago and I wanted to ask you that question but it ended our session
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

This does not look like genital herpes, although the urethra does not necessarily need to be affected. But this rash appears quite different than the lesions of herpes. And herpes outbreaks tend to resolve after a couple weeks. I would be more inclined to believe it was molluscum contagiosum, which can appear atypical on the glans of the penis. Molluscum is caused by a virus (the molluscum contagiosum virus) that is part of the pox virus family. This virus is contagious through direct contact. It can be spread by sexual contact and can occur in people with compromised immune systems, but is otherwise benign and self-limited in most instances.