Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

MY HUSBANDtOM HAS Parkinson's dISEASE. hE'S HAD AN IMBEDDED

Customer Question

MY HUSBANDtOM HAS Parkinson's dISEASE. hE'S HAD AN IMBEDDED CATHETER FOR 3 MONTHS and HE'S HAD uti 3 x. nOW THEY WANT ME TO IRRIGATEHIS BLADDER DAILY. I'm 80 YEARS OLD AND VERY CRIPPLED WITH ARTHRITIS. I WANT HIM HOME, BUT IS THIS really NECESSARY? iT'S VERY DIFFICULTFOR ME, FOR US. hE'S ANGRY AT THE WORLD. wAHING AND RINSING THE NIGHT AND LEG BAGS , AND SOAKING IN VINEGAR AND WATER ISBECOMING very DIFFICULT FOR ME. iS THEREANY OTHER WAY. intermittent CATHING SOUNDS MUCH EASIER. tHEY COME IN STERILE, INDIVIDUAL WRAP, THE TIPOF THE PENIS IS SWABBED WITH IODINE AND THE INTERMITTENT CATHS WOULD BE USED only once. wASHING, RINSING AND SOAKING THE BAGS IN VINEGAR IS A MONUMENTOUS JOB FOR THIS OLD LASDY. I'm SURE INTERMITTENT CATHING WOULD HAVE TO BE EASIER. tHANK YOU. ss
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, you can ask for help from a visiting nurse who can come to the home once or twice a day and help with irritation of his bladder daily.

or he can just wear a foley cather all the time.

or he can use a straight catheter as well which means he doesn't have to have a bag.

a straight red rubber catheter can be used as a straight catheter 3-4 times a day.

but is he able to do straight self catheterizations with his parkinsons disease?