Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Dr.
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine

In Sept 2015 I went to the ER with stomach pain and was

Customer Question

In Sept 2015 I went to the ER with stomach pain and was given a work up. All blood tests came back good including liver and kidney function. An abdominal and pelvic CT came back normal. The only abnormal finding was a moderate amount of blood cells in my urine. Negative for urinary tract infection. I was told to have the urinalysis redone which I did in January 2016. There was no blood found and they also did a cytology where no cancer cells were found. My kidney function blood test that they ordered then came back good as well. Are any other tests in order after the blood in urine last September or is that recheck in January good enough? Thank you.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SH and will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.

The most reassuring thing is that your test result was all good i.e. the repeat urine test done in January. That pretty much rules out anything serious or anything to worry about.

If it were anything serious blood would have definitely persisted in the urine and would not have gone away so quickly.

Also, all your other investigations were normal which is very reassuring.

The bot***** *****ne is that I would not worry whatsoever.

You are fine.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end and then submitting

your rating as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
6 months between the first and second test. That's good? Also- the second time around I had drank a lot of water before the urinalysis. It was the middle of the day. I remember noticing that my urine was very clear. Would that have altered the results or hid blood cells or cancer cells?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

I do not think that this would have altered your urine test.

Even with drinking a lot of water the red blood cells should be seen.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You "don't think" that it would have altered the results? Sounds like you aren't sure? I'd like a legitimate answer on whether or not high fluid intake would alter a result on blood cells or cancer cells. Are you an actual practicing medical doctor? If you are answering questions in the urology category I am hoping that you are trained in the practices of urine analysis and cytology. Is this correct?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry for the confusion.

Taking lots of water WILL NOT affect your urine result trust me.

Yes I am trained in interpreting urine analysis and cytology reports.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the clarification. Are you currently practicing medicine in the U.S.? I'm not trying to be rude but I am looking at your BIO and I'm wondering why your photo looks like a stock photo pulled off of the web. .
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 months ago.

I am actually working in Australia and not in the US.

Yes I am a practicing doctor.